Castlerea golf club was founded on 9th September 1905. The course was originally located on the Ballymoe road at Harristown. It moved to its present location at Clonalis in 1907. The land was initially leased from the O’Conor Don family. In 1985, the members purchased the freehold interest in the lands. The club house was replaced in 1990/91 when the current building was erected. The club continues to develop the course and grounds and purchased additional lands in 2007. This new development is in close proximity to the famous Clonalis house, the historic seat of the O’Conor Don family.
Full details of the course are to be obtained in our course summary page.
Over the years Castlerea Golf Club has produced many fine and successful golfers. Bertie Briscoe was a member when winning the West of Ireland in 1928 and 1931. Miss Audrey O’Donohoe, whose father was a founder member of the club, represented Ireland from 1948 to 1953 and subsequently became Irish team captain. Rupert de Lacy Staunton was winner of the South of Ireland in 1965 and 1972. He played for Ireland from 1963 to 1973 during which time Ireland won the European Championship for the first time. Rupert also captained the Irish team for a number of years and was a Walker Cup selector. His father Maurice was president of the GUI in 1974.
The club currently has a membership of some 700 comprising all categories of members. Full details of membership and subscription rates are to be obtained on our membership page. Situated in close proximity to the town, the club is always delighted to welcome visitors. Societies and individual green fees are available and can be accessed on our green fees page.
Thank you for taking the time to visit our website and further information regarding our club can be obtained on the accompanying pages.